By: Joseph Ferris
This Tuesday, Lower Manhattan and the nation will pause in remembrance of the 17th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
If you have come to pay your respects, please note the following restrictions on the day of remembrance. Here is what you need to know to plan your visit.
9/11 Memorial and Museum
- • Starting Mon., Sept. 10 at 5p through Tues., Sept. 11, the Museum will be closed to the public and exclusively open to members of the 9/11 community, which includes 9/11 and 1993 family members, 9/11 rescue and recovery workers, active duty first responders, 9/11 survivors, and Lower Manhattan business owners and residents. 9/11 community members can reserve free museum tickets here.
- • On the morning of Tues., Sept. 11, the Memorial (the public plaza and pools) will be closed to the public for a private ceremony for 9/11 family members; at 3p, the plaza will reopen to the public and remain open until midnight, allowing visitors to view the Tribute in Light.
One World Observatory
- • On Sept. 11, the Observatory will not have tickets available to the public until after 12p.
Westfield World Trade Center
- • On Sept. 11, stores will open to the public after 11a.
The 9/11 Tribute Museum
- • The 9/11 Tribute Museum is closed on Tuesday.
- • Later this month, the museum will hold its 10th Annual National Day of Service & Remembrance at the Oculus. Volunteers, first responders and more than 500 employees from companies that were impacted by 9/11 will assemble bicycles for children of active duty soldiers and first responders. A donation of $45 sponsors a bike.
Museum of Jewish Heritage – A Living Memorial to the Holocaust
- • In memory of those who were lost in the attacks at the World Trade Center site and in honor of the first responders, the Museum of Jewish Heritage – A Living Memorial to the Holocaust invites the public to come reflect and remember on Tuesday, September 11, from 7 PM to 10 PM, following the conclusion of Rosh Hashanah. Admission is free for all.
Local Closures (Time and exact closures at the discretion of the NYPD)
- • Areas bounded by Barclay Street on the North; Battery Place on the South; Broadway/ Trinity Place/ Greenwich Street on the East; West Street on the West; All Inclusive
- • Liberty Street between West Street and South End Avenue
- • Albany Street between West Street and South End Avenue
- • West Thames Street between West Street and South End Avenue
- • South End Avenue between Liberty Street and West Thames Street
- • Little West Street between West Thames Street and Battery Place
Photo credit: Joe Woolhead